Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Robots Place Is In The Kitchen

Greetings Bloggies.

I have had the same thought several times.  I am reasonably sure that it is not original to my self but the source is long lost to me.  The thought in question is

" Never get a human to do a robot's job"

I thought it last summer on one of my earlier skytrain trips where the train seemed to running too fast and breaking too hard, I was convinced that a human was at the controls of the robot train.  More recently I was watching a portion of the movie 8 Mile, set in the 90's in Detroit.  There was a factory seen in which the 'hero' was loading stamped steel plates from one thing on to a dolly.  Lift shift drop, Lift shift drop, lift shift drop, a robots job.  Now I have a rice maker.


I had toyed with Idea of getting one as I finished the program gift to my self since the start of the program in September.  A couple weeks ago freshly exposed to an solid review and extensive first hand experience from a family member I caved in.  Thankfully they make them in single person sizes.  I spent the little extra and got the model that can cook brown rice.



In fact here is the list of things it can cook, that I know of.

Brown rice

White rice

Sushi Rice

Congee

Mixed rice, such as plov or name your rice with stuff cooked in it dish from any where in the world

Oatmeal.

The review, on brown rice it comes out fluffier then the times I cook white on a stove top.

If set to Sushi rice I do get the right kind of sticky and the urge to buy a bunch of seawead and start making roles.

Other quirks, a timer, which gets set for when you want the food ready not for when it starts cooking.  For this morning I prepared the machine with oatmeal water and dried friut set the timer for 7am.  At 6:59:59 am the alarm goes off and there is a bowl of steaming hot food.  The first time I used the timer I loaded it with brown rice for breakfast.  I got up to the smell of cooking brown rice.  Almost as good as waking to the smell of fresh bread.

I for one welcome our future robot overlords.

All Hail Zojirushi

Other features, beyond rice cooking.

a handle to pick it up by when you want to put it away.

A clock that keeps running when you unplug it so you don't have to reset the clock when you want to use the timer

A retractable cord to ease in the putting awayness.

To this machine I give it 8 out of 10 tentacles.

 


2 comments:

Ien in the Kootenays said...

I want one!

Unknown said...

Yours is so cute and shiny and new!
Mine has all the same bits. Haven't made sushi rice yet.
When mine dies (I think it is about 10 years old), if it ever does, I will replace it and will cost me a lot of money. It will be worth every penny - fabulous innovation.