Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bad Movie Night

Greetings

You know its the 21 first century when, not having access to Facebook on your phone is a bigger issue then not having their number. Yesterday over Facebook I was invited over to a bad movie afternoon. This was a far better alternative to an afternoon spent playing uninspired Minecraft, which was where I was headed on my own. I google the street address find it close by and hop onto Viking 1 and ride over.

Soon after I leave the thought crosses my mind that I don't know, how to reach the suite once I get there. I know from experience that suite number and door buzz codes at apartment buildings are not always the same. I did not have the phone numbers for any of the friends I knew there, they are on my friends list. This lead me to make the opening observation. This was a non problem on this occasion thanks to a 20th or earlier century technology, a note taped to the door containing the need to know info.

The bad movie showings included, Howard the Duck, a film along with the Farside might have affected my world view of ducks. If those slices of media were not enough to cement ducks in your mind as odd animals then go and read this dead duck day.

The movie event was also a cleverly hidden craft circle, with the host alternating between making a piece of scale mail arm and the kitchen with the two people I knew working tamer beading projects. It was suggested that I try to make something creative out of a bunch of colourfull aluminum chits and some metal rings. Being asked to be creative has about as much of an effect as running up to some one and saying "Quick be witty Now!" I decided that I was going to make a frame close to the size of a piece of paper, that way I could have a reference point for any thing more creative I might try.

Try would be the operative term. In the binary speak of Yoda, this was a definite "Do Not". The notion was that I could with the aid of pliers twist open the steel rings pop on the aluminum chit and close the ring. Steps one and two no problem. Step three, which after my first batch of chits fell off their rings was demonstrated for me was an other matter entirely. It turned out that the bits I was trying to link together were thin enough that any meaningful gap in the steel ring would be exploited and squeezed through. A proper fitting therefore needed the steel ring to a closed ring.

I tried I really did. Brow furrowed like a 5 year old might trying to colour between the lines (apologies to any 5 years olds). Sweat on my furrowed brow. For my troubles I had no more then three aluminum chits strung together, and a few bent and twisted steel rings that despite my best efforts still had the better part of a milli meter gap in them. I had given up before the end of Howard the Duck.

The next movie was Dead Living, a Zombie comedy directed by Peter Jackson. The movie climaxed with a nearly operatic finally involving a lawn mower. Some where during the evening I tried on his home made chain mail vest. This vest was made with a heavier steel wire then what I was playing with and was created using the same method as I had failed to grasp. I felt that one must try on chain mail if one has the chance.


The mail was comfortable, no chafing.


The final movie was a Lovecraft story, something Dagon. It was an odd anachronism to watch a movie stored on VHS on 42ish inch LCD TV. Part way through the movie some one showed up at the house. I did not hear what she said as to why she was there. It became clear that she was there to employ the hosts dwarfen skills in metal work.
As I was awaiting the gory death of the protagonist, and anticipating the appearance of a tentacled elder god, I could hear the goings on in the back room.

The when some thing like this
Ting, ting ting.
Wurrr wurr wurr.
ting ting ting.

A few tings and wurrs later the host came out of the back room and was seen entering the hallway with a hammer. The end result was that I was able to see a woman ware a chain mail and leather top, which does not happen everyday. Nerds I thank thee.

2 comments:

Ien in the Kootenays said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ien in the Kootenays said...

am quite literally LOLling. Great blog. Nienke is the only member in our family with an affinity for crafts. I dreaded things like Halloween when one is supposed to be creative. Quote: Being asked to be creative has about as much of an effect as running up to some one and saying "Quick be witty Now!" unquote. INDEED! How I hate it when people assure me that anybody can and should do this and even enjoy it! Guess what: as a five year old I sucked at it too.
And I deleted this earlier because I caught a typo.